The Bronx River Alliance seeks a Community Outreach Manager knowledgeable about the diverse Bronx River communities in the watershed and passionate about connecting them to the Bronx River and Greenway. The Alliance works through our Ecology, Education, Greenway, Outreach, and Recreation programs to build a constituency of active volunteers through community events, scientific research, restoration projects, recreational opportunities, and the arts. The Bronx River Community Outreach Manager will strengthen the Bronx River Alliance’s existing relationships and build new partnerships in order to protect, improve, and restore the Bronx River. Specifically the Community Outreach Manager will:
- Encourage stewardship and recreation of the river and its parks via volunteer and community service projects
- Launch and sustain community engagement in River House, a community boathouse and environmental education center in the South Bronx
- Publicize Bronx River activities, with an emphasis on ensuring that residents in the watershed are aware of and attending our events
- Engage partners in activities planned by the Bronx River Alliance
- Connect partners’ activities to the Bronx River
- Foster engaging programming and community leadership in all facets of our work
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Connect communities to the Bronx River, its parks (the Bronx River Greenway) and the Alliance, supporting Friends groups, program teams, special events, and volunteers throughout the watershed.
- Connect local communities and partners to River House as a center for community engagement (e.g., workshops, trainings, paddling, arts programs, environmental education, etc.)
- Create and implement outreach strategies for Bronx River initiatives, programs, and events, using both digital and traditional marketing
- Supervise seasonal Volunteer Coordinator and develop our volunteer program to foster stewardship and meet community needs, coordinating among Alliance staff, partner organizations, and volunteers
- Organize, plan, and host special events along the Bronx River and its Greenway, including the Amazing Bronx River Flotilla, International Coastal Cleanup, the Bronx River Assembly and an annual volunteer recognition event
- Manage the Outreach program, including setting annual goals and budget, tracking program deliverables, purchasing, etc.; participation with the development team in the grant process to secure project support
- Represent the Alliance through participation in community, regional, and/or national networks and maintain relationships with elected officials, police precincts and community boards within the watershed
- Support or assist other programs as needed
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with relevant experience; professional experience in education, community organizing, or outreach preferred.
- Ability to speak about a variety of park- and river-related subject areas and work with diverse constituencies; understanding of ecology related to the river and parks preferred. Willingness to learn required!
- Passion for leading walking tours, outdoor volunteer stewardship events, and/or other community-focused programs.
- Ability to develop and edit engaging proposals, reports, and promotional materials.
- Attention to detail and good use of systems to track multiple projects and coordinate partnerships.
- Deep knowledge of the Bronx and its diverse communities required.
- Spanish language proficiency is highly preferred.
- Experience in community-based social marketing preferred.
- Arts-based outreach programming experience preferred.
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings.
- Valid New York State driver’s license and ability to drive.
- Passion for the Bronx River!
About the Bronx River Alliance:
The Bronx River Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works in harmonious partnership to protect, improve, and restore the Bronx River corridor and greenway so that they can be healthy ecological, recreational, educational, and economic resources for the communities through which the river flows. The Bronx River Alliance is engaged in a DEIA process with a commitment to being an anti-racist organization, practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, respect, integrity, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, responsiveness, and public access. We value the full range of human diversity and seek to involve diverse populations in our staff, board, volunteers, and partners. Read our full values statement and our Commitment to Environmental Justice
The Bronx River Alliance offers to its employees:
- A 35-hour work week
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Full benefits package
- A dynamic, collaborative work environment at an organization with a successful track record of restoring the Bronx River, developing parks and trails along it, and connecting local communities with this unique natural resource.
Please send a resume with a cover letter with the subject line “Community Outreach Manager” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.
You can also view the application in PDF form here.