The Bronx River Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works in harmonious partnership to protect, improve and restore the Bronx River corridor so that it can be a healthy ecological, recreational, educational and economic resource for the communities through which the river flows.
The Bronx River Alliance is seeking a Canoe Intern to aid in leading canoe paddles along the river as part of the public education initiatives. The Alliance is looking for a motivated self-starter who will be comfortable assisting in program tasks, executing logistics, and co-hosting all trips, including providing safety and educational presentations. This position reports to the Recreational Coordinator.
- Assist in hosting canoeing trips along the Bronx River
- Assist in maintaining a fleet of canoes, kayaks, and other related equipment
- Help to recruit Community Friday Event volunteers
- Perform administrative duties related to the program
- Aid in educational programming along the Bronx River
Intern will learn how to properly conduct non-formal educational programming to public entities around topics of environmental studies.
Qualifications / Special Skills / Areas of Interest
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Availability to work weekend days
- Able to work as a part of a team
- Some on water/ canoeing experience
- Positive attitude and professionalism
- Lover of the outdoors!
- Ability to lift weight over 50 lbs
- Background or Interest in education, environmental science, and/or recreation
Applicants must be willing to work outdoors with all elements including rainy weather as well as heated weather, and also able to lift canoes that can weigh upwards of 110 lbs.