The Bronx River Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works with 100+ partners—particularly NYC Parks—to ensure that the river corridor will be a healthy ecological, recreational, educational and economic resource for the communities through which the river flows.
The Bronx River Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. People of all identities are encouraged to apply. The Bronx River Alliance is committed to practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, responsiveness, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, respect, integrity, and public access.
Professional Development Opportunities: Crew members receive training and gain skills and knowledge in numerous disciplines, including: forest, riparian, wetland and salt marsh ecology; botany; written and oral communications, data reporting; public education and outreach, including working with volunteers, planning events; technology skills such as using GPS units, water, fish, soil and plot monitoring equipment; erosion control and soil conservation techniques; installation, monitoring and maintenance of stormwater capture systems; canoeing/kayaking.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring committee.
Salary: $16.00-$20.00 per Hour
Major Responsibilities: Under general supervision, the Crew Apprentices will work in small teams to carry out river management and restoration projects, including:
- Removing blockages and debris from the river.
- Restoring and improving forestland, salt marshes, trails along the Bronx River.
- Reducing/Controlling erosion in slopes and riverbanks.
- Removing exotic invasive species of vegetation in natural areas and planting native trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants.
- Maintain green infrastructure to capture stormwater runoff
- Increasing community input in the Bronx River resurgence and promoting ecological public education
- Conducting a weekly reconnaissance to identify and address problems in the river corridor
- Surveying and monitoring plant survival/growth and water quality in the Bronx
- Using creative energies, knowledge and abilities to solve critical environmental problems
- Center diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility (DEIA); community leadership; and environmental justice
Work Schedule: This is a Seasonal position from April to November. Working hours are from Monday to Friday from 7:30am to 3:30pm.
- Occasional weekend work is required.
- Lower Westchester or Bronx residency preferred.
- The reporting location is Bronx River House, located at 1490 Sheridan Boulevard.
- An associate degree (or higher) from an accredited college with specialization in forestry, ecology or a related subject.
- Six months of full time work experience in natural resources restoration and management, forestry or arboricultural work, and knowledge of erosion control techniques, exotic invasive species management, and post-planting field inspections/monitoring.
- High school diploma or GED with 3 months of experience in natural resources restoration and management, forestry or arboricultural work, and knowledge of erosion control techniques or exotic invasive species management.
- Willing to work in inclement weather, able to perform intense and physically demanding work.
- Able to work occasional weekends.
- Valid Class D NYS driver’s license and the ability to drive a pickup truck
The Bronx River Alliance is committed to practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, responsiveness, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, respect, integrity, and public access. We value the full range of human diversity and seek to involve diverse populations in our staff, board, volunteers, and partners. Read our full values statement at bronxriver.org/about/values. Read our Commitment to Environmental Justice at bronxriver.org/about/commitment-to-environmental-justice
To apply, please submit a cover letter to Michael Mendez at Michael.Mendez@parks.nyc.gov. This position will be held open until filled.