The Bronx River Alliance seeks a Community Outreach Coordinator
The Bronx River Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works with 100+ partners—particularly NYC Parks—to ensure that the river corridor will be a healthy ecological, recreational, educational and economic resource for the communities through which the river flows.
The Bronx River Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. People of all identities are encouraged to apply. The Bronx River Alliance is committed to practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, responsiveness, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, respect, integrity, and public access.
Salary Range: $45,000 – $60,000
The Community Outreach Coordinator must be knowledgeable about the diverse Bronx River communities in the watershed and passionate about connecting them to the Bronx River and Greenway. The Coordinator will strengthen the Bronx River Alliance’s existing relationships and build new partnerships. Specifically the Community Outreach Coordinator will:
- Encourage stewardship and recreation of the river and its parks via volunteer and community service projects
- Launch and sustain community engagement in River House, a community boathouse and environmental education center in the South Bronx
- Publicize Bronx River activities, with an emphasis on ensuring that residents in the watershed are aware of our events
- Engage partners in activities planned by the Bronx River Alliance
- Connect partners’ activities to the river
- Foster engaging programming and community leadership in all facets of our work
- Center diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility (DEIA); community leadership; and environmental justice in all the above.
- Occasional night and weekend work is required
- Lower Westchester and Bronx residency preferred
- This position reports to the Director of Programs and will supervise a seasonal Volunteer Assistant
- The Alliance offers medical, dental and vision insurance; SIMPLE IRA with up to 3% match, pre-tax FSA and transit benefits; 13 paid holidays; and paid vacation, sick, and personal days
- The reporting location is Bronx River House, located at 1490 Sheridan Boulevard. Alliance employees are currently on a staggered in-office schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Connect communities to the Bronx River, its parks (the Bronx River Greenway) and the Alliance, supporting Friends groups, program teams, special events, and volunteers.
- Connect local communities and partners to River House as a center for community engagement (e.g., workshops, trainings, paddling, arts programs, environmental education, etc)
- Create and implement outreach strategies for Bronx River initiatives, programs, and events, using both digital and traditional marketing
- Supervise seasonal Volunteer Coordinator and develop our volunteer program, coordinating among Alliance staff, partner organizations, and volunteers
- Organize, plan, and host special events along the Bronx River and its Greenway, including the Amazing Bronx River Flotilla, International Coastal Cleanup, the Bronx River Assembly and an annual volunteer recognition event
- Manage the Outreach program, including setting annual goals and budget, tracking program deliverables, purchasing, etc.; participation with the development team in the grant process to secure project support
- Represent the Alliance through participation in community, regional, and/or national networks
- Maintain relationships with elected officials, police precincts and community boards
- Support or assist other programs as needed
- 3 years relevant professional experience. Work experience in education, community organizing, or outreach preferred. Bachelor’s degree in related field may substitute for one year of professional experience
- Ability to speak about a variety of park- and river-related subject areas and work with diverse constituencies; understanding of ecology related to the river and parks preferred. Willingness to learn required!
- Passion for leading walking tours, outdoor volunteer stewardship events, and/or other community-focused programs.
- Ability to develop and edit engaging proposals, reports, and promotional materials.
- Deep knowledge of the Bronx and its diverse communities required.
- Spanish language proficiency is highly preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Experience in community-based social marketing preferred.
- Arts-based outreach programming experience preferred.
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings.
- Valid New York State driver’s license and ability to drive.
- Passion for the Bronx River!
The Bronx River Alliance is committed to practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, responsiveness, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, respect, integrity, and public access. We value the full range of human diversity and seek to involve diverse populations in our staff, board, volunteers, and partners. Read our full values statement at bronxriver.org/about/values. Read our Commitment to Environmental Justice at bronxriver.org/about/commitment-to-environmental-justice