The Bronx River Alliance seeks a Greenway Coordinator
About the Bronx River Alliance
The Bronx River Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works with 100+ partners—including NYC Parks—to protect, improve and restore the river so that it is a healthy ecological, recreational, educational, and economic resource for all communities through which the river flows. Since our founding in 2001, we have engaged over 20,000 volunteers, nearly 25,000 people have paddled with us, we have improved 26 acres of parkland, secured and coordinated over $250M, and created 22 acres of new parkland.
The Bronx River Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. People of all identities are encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: $45,000 – 60,000 (salary commensurate with experience)
The Alliance seeks a Greenway Coordinator for a dynamic role serving as the conduit between government agencies and communities in the watershed for short and long term projects that shape the future of New York City’s only freshwater river. The coordinator serves on the leadership body of the Greenway team with local community volunteers and coordinates meetings, promotion of the greenway, and collaborates on programming including walks, runs, and bike rides. The Alliance works with partners and agencies to create a continuous, safe greenway accessible to the communities around the Bronx River. The Greenway Coordinator will:
- Monitor implementation of greenway projects to ensure Alliance design guidelines & ecological standards are upheld and community visions are implemented
- Maintain a high level of visibility for Bronx River Greenway projects and help overcome any obstacles
- Identify additional opportunities and needs for greenway and ecological restoration projects, and work with partners to plan their development
- Develop, maintain, and collaborate with partner organizations and agencies to identify community needs, funding gaps, and raise additional funds
- Serve as the conduit between community stakeholders and public agencies
- Coordinate regular meetings regarding project progress and timing
- Coordinate community review of and public participation in greenway development and design
- Convene Greenway Team meetings with Team Co-chairs; facilitate annual prioritization of projects
- Promote use of the greenway through attractive public programs, meetings, online community outreach and events and enable new engagement opportunities in collaboration with partner organizations
- Participate in the organization’s online communications and outreach efforts, including creating content for newsletters, websites, social media platforms, etc.
- Support the Development team in ensuring adequate organizational funding and management (e.g., grants, campaigns, special events, donations, etc.)
- Assist with the maintenance and operations of Bronx River Greenway
- Occasional mapping and publication design projects
- Perform related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor
- Center diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility (DEIA); community leadership; and environmental justice
Work Schedule: Full Time (35 hours/week)
- 9am – 5pm Mondays – Fridays; some weekend and evening hours required.
- The Alliance works in with partnership with NYC Parks and community stakeholders
- Lower Westchester and Bronx residency preferred
- This position reports to the Director of Programs
- The Alliance offers medical, dental and vision insurance; SIMPLE IRA with up to 3% match, pre-tax FSA and transit benefits; 13 Paid Holidays; and paid vacation, sick, and personal days
- The reporting location is Bronx River House, located at 1490 Sheridan Boulevard. Alliance employees are currently on a staggered in-office schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent with studies in Urban Design, Urban Studies and Planning, Landscape Architecture, or similar preferred
- 2-3 years professional experience related to duties above; master’s degree or one year of work experience at the Bronx River Alliance can substitute for two years of experience
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to work independently, create and maintain systems, and develop creative solutions to overcome problems
- Commitment to the Alliance’s mission and values
- Knowledge of Bronx River communities and ability to work with diverse constituencies required; Spanish is a plus
- Comfort biking in New York City is a plus
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, a plus but not required proficiency in Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc), GIS, SalesForce, and online applications
The Bronx River Alliance is committed to practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, responsiveness, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, respect, integrity, and public access. We value the full range of human diversity and seek to involve diverse populations in our staff, board, volunteers, and partners. Read our full values statement at bronxriver.org/about/values. Read our Commitment to Environmental Justice at bronxriver.org/about/commitment-to-environmental-justice
To apply, email resume and cover letter as one pdf file to email@example.com by March 27, 2022.