The Bronx River Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works with 100+ partners—including NYC Parks—to protect, improve and restore the river so that it is a healthy ecological, recreational, educational, and economic resource for all communities through which the river flows. Since being founded in 2001, we have engaged over 20,000 volunteers, nearly 25,000 people have paddled with us, we have improved 26 acres of parkland, secured and coordinated over $250M, and created 22 acres of new parkland.
The Bronx River Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. People of all identities are encouraged to apply.
Salary: $20 – $25 per hour (salary commensurate with experience)
The Bronx River Alliance is seeking to hire a part-time seasonal Recreation Assistant to aid in leading canoe trips along the river as part of the public education initiatives along the river. The Alliance is looking for a motivated self-starter who will be comfortable running programs, including executing logistics and providing safety back up. This position reports to the Recreation Coordinator. The Recreation Assistant will:
- Assist in leading canoeing trips along the Bronx River
- Assist in maintaining a small fleet of canoes and kayaks and related equipment.
- Help to recruit and manage volunteer guides.
- Perform administrative duties related to the program including registration and participation reporting.
- Center diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility (DEIA); community leadership; and environmental justice
- Part-time from April through November, 2022
- Wednesdays – Sundays
- The Alliance works in with partnership with NYC Parks and community stakeholders
- Lower Westchester and Bronx residency preferred
- This position reports to the Recreation Coordinator
- The reporting location is Bronx River House, located at 1490 Sheridan Boulevard.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Proof of Covid Vaccination
- Valid New York State driver’s license, with trailer driving experience.
- Strong boating skills, preferably canoeing
- Strong swimming skill
- Must have a valid NY State driver’s license and the ability to drive a pick-up
- Must be available to run weekend programs as part of work week
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Able to swim
- Strong personal interest in recreation participation
- Positive attitude and professionalism
- Ability to lift weight of over 50 lbs
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Canoeing certification
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Background in education, environmental science, and/or fitness and recreation.
- Proficient in MS Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel); Internet/Web Use
- Substantial driving experience, including driving a trailer
The Bronx River Alliance is committed to practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, responsiveness, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, respect, integrity, and public access. We value the full range of human diversity and seek to involve diverse populations in our staff, board, volunteers, and partners. Read our full values statement at bronxriver.org/about/values. Read our Commitment to Environmental Justice at bronxriver.org/about/commitment-to-environmental-justice
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.