The Bronx River Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works with 100+ partners—including NYC Parks—to protect, improve and restore the river so that it is a healthy ecological, recreational, educational, and economic resource for all communities through which the river flows. Since being founded in 2001, we have engaged over 20,000 volunteers, nearly 25,000 people have paddled with us, we have improved 26 acres of parkland, secured and coordinated over $250M in capital funding for park development and environmental restoration, and created 22 acres of new waterfront parkland.
The Bronx River Alliance has an annual budget of about $3 million and is a growing organization. It receives funding through a diverse range of sources, including individual private donations, earned income, corporate sponsorships, philanthropic grants, and governmental sources.
The Bronx River Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. People of all identities are encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: $75,000-$110,000 (salary commensurate with experience)
Position Overview: The Finance & Administration Director is responsible for the integrity, accuracy and enforcement of all of the Bronx River Alliance’s policies and procedures; including financials, human resources, and office management. This position plays a key functional role within the organization as part of senior management, serving on the Alliance leadership team to ensure effective program delivery, administration, successful fundraising and internal and external communications. The Director leads in supporting the leadership team to identify, investigate, and resolve all operational matters in alignment with the Alliance’s mission to protect, improve and restore the Bronx River Corridor and Greenway. The Finance & Administration Director supervises one Office Coordinator.
Bronx River Alliance Mission and Value Statement: The Bronx River Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works in harmonious partnership to protect, improve and restore the Bronx River corridor and greenway so that they can be healthy ecological, recreational, educational, and economic resources for the communities through which the river flows. The Bronx River Alliance is committed to practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, responsiveness, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, respect, integrity, and public access.
- Occasional night and weekend work is required
- This position reports directly to the Executive Director
- The Alliance offers medical, dental and vision insurance; 401K with up to 3% match, pre-tax FSA and transit benefits; 13 paid holidays; and paid vacation, sick, and personal days
- The reporting location is Bronx River House, located at 1490 Sheridan Boulevard, Bronx, NY 10459
Responsibilities and Duties:
Finance and Accounting:
Work closely with the Executive Director, Department Heads, and Finance Committee of the Board of Directors to ensure the following tasks are completed effectively, efficiently:
- Input and manage accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Manage and reconcile petty cash balance, vendor files and company credit card transactions.
- Execute banking transactions, check writing and processing and organization investment account deposits and withdrawals.
- Prepare, present and monitor the operational budget for board approval and update as needed.
- Work with outside accountants to complete the annual audit and all tax filings.
- Produce and present financial reports regularly and as requested by the Executive Director, Board, NYC Parks Controller and grantors.
- Support the development department with identifying funding gaps.
- Coordinate with staff in the budgeting preparation of annual CDBG funds and ensure all funds are spent down by June 30.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the company as changes arise.
- Investigate and resolve all customer and vendor inquiries.
- Support the Development team in ensuring adequate organizational funding and management (e.g., grants, campaigns, special events, donations, etc.).
- Follow Alliance internal controls.
- Work effectively with staff to ensure timely documentation and information is received (e.g., quarterly expense reports, vendor quotes, invoices, check requests, credit card receipts, petty cash, etc.).
Work closely with the Executive Director, Department Heads, and board to ensure the following tasks are completed effectively, efficiently, with needed attention to sensitivity and confidentiality:
- Serve as benefits administrator for all employee benefits.
- Run payroll on a regular basis using ADP Payroll Processing services.
- Collect, track and process staff time.
- Manage all employee files from onboarding to exit interviews.
- Run background checks on all newly hired employees.
- Investigate and resolve all employee grievances in accordance with the Alliance’s policies.
Effectively supervise Office Coordinator to ensure the following tasks are completed effectively and efficiently:
- Ensure River House is a well-maintained, welcoming, vibrant community facility.
- Support with overseeing the operations of River House, including the systems of the building.
- Assist with monitoring the requirements of the license agreement of River House to ensure compliance.
- Aid with the continued professional development of staff.
- Manage purchasing materials for all supplies and events.
- Maintain and track office inventory and general supplies and implement effective inventory systems.
- Ensure all insurance policies are renewed and in good standing.
- Ensure regular cleaning & security of the office space.
- Support other programs as needed.
- Passion for and understanding of the mission, vision and values of the Bronx River Alliance.
- Bachelor Degree or 4 years of related work experience required.
- Knowledge of nonprofit financial management is required.
- Strong analytical skills required, as well as ability to communicate financial information clearly to board and staff.
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy required.
- Experience with FundEZ or similar financial software package.
- Ability to thrive and contribute to a highly collaborative environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment required.
- Supervising experience preferred.
- Conflict resolution experience preferred.
- Experience managing federal grants preferred.
The Bronx River Alliance is committed to practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, responsiveness, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, respect, integrity and public access. We value the full range of human diversity and seek to involve diverse populations in our staff, board, volunteers and partners. Read our full values statement at https://bronxriver.org/about/values. Read our Commitment to Environmental Justice at https://bronxriver.org/about/commitment-to-environmental-justice.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by January 19, 2024.