Starlight Phase 2
Top Ten Reasons
to support the project.
The City of New York, as well as the State and Federal Departments of Transportation, have invested a decade and over $150 million in planning and building the Bronx River Greenway, designed to extend the full length of the Bronx—eight miles—and connect to an additional 15 miles in Westchester County.
However, a 2/3-mile gap must be filled from Starlight Park to Westchester Ave in the South Bronx to ensure safe, continuous travel along the Greenway and provide park and river access to 406,411 of Bronx residents and employees.
NYS DOT designed and constructed Phase 1 of Starlight Park, which opened in January 2013. The second phase linking Starlight Park to Concrete Plant Park stalled when Amtrak and NYSDOT could not reach agreement for the construction of a pedestrian bridge over Amtrak’s Acela line at 172nd St and Bronx River Ave.
New York City has assumed project management responsibilities for the project and has allocated $12 million to the project. The issues with Amtrak are nearing resolution, and the City will finalize design and permits in the coming year.
Restore full funding for the project
To construct this crucial link, we must assemble funding from diverse federal, state and city sources to reach the full project budget of $35.7 million.
The case for action:
This missing link is vital to the overall success of the Greenway. Without this link, neighborhoods will remain cut off from the river and from the new parks and playgrounds along its banks, and greenway travelers will never have a safe, continuous north-south route through the Bronx. In a community deficient in open space, cut up by truck routes and beset by asthma, diabetes, obesity and other health problems that open air exercise can reduce, government action is essential to complete this healthy, green transportation link.
Phase 2 of Starlight Park will include 11 acres of parkland, three bridges, and a seamless link to Concrete Plant Park, the waterfront park that opened in 2009. Phase 2 will also open up a half-mile jogging loop around Starlight Park.
Top Ten Reasons
to support the project:
1. Without this link, over 100,000 residents will remain cut off from new parks, playgrounds, ballfields, and paths along the Bronx River.
2. Because the Bx River Greenway is an economic driver for the Bronx, already attracting private investment
3. Because South Bronx communities are deficient in open space and cut up by truck routes
4. Because people will use this link to reach jobs, businesses, homes and schools (without a drop of oil)
5. Because without this link, access to Starlight Park and Concrete Plant Park will be dangerous and uninviting
6. So NY State will fulfill a pledge to Bronx communities made more than a decade ago
7. Because South Bronx communities are beset by asthma, diabetes, obesity and other health problems that open air exercise can reduce
8. Because this project is shovel-ready: design documents are complete and properties are ready for construction
9. Because this project will create or save 780 jobs according to NYSDOT’s job formula
10. Because the Bronx deserves a continuous waterfront greenway!