JOB OPPORTUNITY: EDUCATION COORDINATOR
The Bronx River Alliance seeks an Education Coordinator who will promote the use of the river as an outdoor classroom, help schools and community groups incorporate the river and its watershed into their programs, and create opportunities for the public to understand and appreciate the Bronx River.
Under the supervision of the Director for Programs and Development, the Coordinator will:
- Promote the Bronx River as an educational resource for schools and community organizations.
- Provide support for educators who want to incorporate the river into their programs.
- Manage public educational programming, such as workshops and lectures, that bring together teachers, scientists and community members to use the river as a living classroom.
- Coordinate, promote and sustain a Stewards Volunteer Water Quality Monitoring Program.
- Coordinate a program of canoe trips for school and youth groups, specialized organizations and the general public that brings more than 1,000 people on the river each year.
- Supervise recreation staff, interns, volunteers and consultants.
- Support the Development Team in fundraising for the Education Program and manage the Education program budget
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of two years professional experience related to duties above; experience in community or environmental education, community organizing or outreach preferred.
- Experience with the K-12 public education system, knowledge of New York State and City educational standards and curriculum or program development experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of ecological principles related to river systems and experience with field research and data collection preferred.
- Ability to lead field work, paddling and walking tours and other outdoor, active programs. Ability to canoe or kayak or commitment to learn paddling skills.
- Ability to write and edit engaging curricula, proposals, reports, and promotional materials.
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies.
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings.
- Valid New York State driver’s license and ability to drive.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and web-based tools.
About the Bronx River Alliance:
The Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works in partnership to protect, improve and restore the Bronx River corridor so that it can be a healthy ecological, recreational, educational and economic resource for the communities through which the river flows. The Bronx River Alliance offers to its employees:
- A salary commensurate with experience
- Full benefits package
- A dynamic and creative work environment at an organization with a successful track record of restoring the Bronx River, developing parks and trails along it, and connecting local communities with this unique natural resource.
How to Apply:
Please email a resume, cover letter and writing sample to Maggie Greenfield at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 22, 2014. No calls or faxes, please.