The Bronx River Alliance in partnership with CUNY Graduate Center ASRF, DSNY Compost Project Hosted by Earth Matter, and Brooklyn College are excited to offer FREE soil testing for harmful contaminants this year. Community members can drop off samples at the Bronx River Alliance office (1490 Sheridan Blvd, Bronx NY 10459) or by attending an upcoming soil testing event!
Looking to bring a sample? Follow these simple steps to a composite sample of your site for quick analysis.
- Label a plastic bag with
- the site ID (Garden Bed #1)
- location of sample (address/ cross-streets)
- And contact information (contact name, email address, and phone number)
- Collect 3-5 samples from the chosen site location.
- Combine to create a composite sample, carefully removing any sticks or pebbles.
- Take a small sample from this composite sample to bring for analysis
Samples brought to in-person events can be analyzed on site for fast results. Based on timing and quantity of samples to be analyzed, a followup email with results may be necessary. Samples dropped off at the Bronx River Alliance office will email results back to participants ideally within a week of drop off.
For questions or concerns email Nathan Hunter at Foodway@bronxriver.org or by calling 718-542-4124.