NYC Department of Transportation crews are in the process of striping new features that make it safer to walk and bike between Concrete Plant Park to Starlight Park. The Alliance reviewed these improvements earlier. Included in the work underway today are:
– New bike lanes on Westchester Avenue (from Whitlock to Bryant)
– New sharrows (bike routes) on Westchester Avenue and Edgewater Road (Sheridan Expressway frontage road)
– New signalized crosswalk across Westchester Avenue at Concrete Plant Park
– New painted sidewalk extensions at the intersection of Whitlock and Westchester
– New roadway striping to clarify safest roadway positioning for drivers
In the long run, the Alliance continues to push to "Bridge the Gap" – completing Phase 2 of Starlight Park in this area, but, right now, these on-street connections are already making things safer and easier for walking and bicycling along the Bronx River. NYC DOT crews began work last week, and the project appears to be about 3/4th done as of Tuesday August 20th 2013.