The Bronx River Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works with 100+ partners—particularly NYC Parks—to ensure that the river corridor will be a healthy ecological, recreational, educational and economic resource for the communities through which the river flows.
The Bronx River Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. People of all identities are encouraged to apply. The Bronx River Alliance is committed to practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, responsiveness, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, respect, integrity, and public access.
Schedule: This is a Seasonal position from April to November. Working hours are from Monday to Friday from 7:30am to 3:30pm. Occasional evening/weekend work is required.
Reports To: Conservation Crew Leaders
Salary: $20 Per hour
Job Overview: Crew members receive training and gain skills and knowledge in numerous disciplines, including: forest, riparian, wetland and salt marsh ecology; oral communications; public education and outreach, including working with volunteers; water, fish, erosion control and soil conservation techniques; installation, monitoring and maintenance of stormwater capture systems; canoeing/kayaking; maintaining of River House vicinity.
Major Responsibilities: Under general supervision, the Crew Apprentices will work in small teams to carry out river management and restoration projects, including:
- Removing blockages and debris from the river.
- Restoring and improving forestland, salt marshes, trails along the Bronx River.
- Reducing/Controlling erosion in slopes and riverbanks.
- Removing exotic invasive species of vegetation in natural areas and planting native trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants.
- Maintaining green infrastructure to capture stormwater runoff.
- Removing litter throughout the Bronx River Corridor.
- Maintaining River House vicinity.
- Increasing community input in the Bronx River resurgence and promoting ecological public education.
- Centering diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility (DEIA); community leadership; and environmental justice.
- Lower Westchester or The Bronx residency preferred.
- The reporting location is Bronx River House, located at 1490 Sheridan Boulevard, Bronx, NY 10459.
- Passion for the mission, vision and values of the Bronx River Alliance.
- Six months of full time work experience in natural resources restoration, gardening, exotic invasive species removal; OR high school diploma or GED with 3 months of experience listed above.
- Willing to work in inclement weather, able to perform intense and physically demanding work.
- Possessing a positive attitude, being dependable, reliable and a team player.
- Able to work occasional weekends.
- Valid Class D NYS driver’s license and the ability to drive a pickup truck or van.
- An associate degree (or higher) from an accredited college with specialization in forestry, ecology or a related subject.
- Six months of full time work experience in natural resources restoration and management, forestry or arboricultural work, and knowledge of erosion control techniques, exotic invasive species management, and post-planting field inspections/monitoring; OR high school diploma or GED with 3 months of experience listed above.
Bronx River Alliance Mission and Value Statement:
The Bronx River Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works in harmonious partnership to protect, improve and restore the Bronx River corridor and greenway so that they can be healthy ecological, recreational, educational, and economic resources for the communities through which the river flows.
The Bronx River Alliance is committed to practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, responsiveness, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, respect, integrity, and public access. We value the full range of human diversity and seek to involve diverse populations in our staff, board, volunteers, and partners. Read our full values statement at bronxriver.org/about/values. Read our Commitment to Environmental Justice at: bronxriver.org/about/commitment-to-environmental-justice
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Jobs@BronxRiver.org by March 26, 2023